Friday, May 20, 2011

Fit Friday {some stuff I've learned so far}

I'm (obviously) no expert on weight loss although I should be, I've been at it for years but in the past few months I've been learning a few things. I decided to write some of them down on here - partly to share them with you guys in case you need encouragement or tips and partly just because I don't want to forget them lest I find myself pulling into the parking lot of a Taco Bell.

Okay - here they are:

 - It's worth the effort it takes to feel healthy, to look healthy, and to BE healthy. No one is going to hand me a new and improved edition of my body wrapped in ribbon for Christmas - if I want it, I have to work towards creating it.

 - Don't make decisions about how your eating for the day will go before you've had a healthy breakfast. When I'm running around the house trying to get everyone ready for school, (lunches packed, teeth brushed, shoes on, etc.) my brain feels swollen and I feel unbelievably emotional. Because I'm so tired/hungry/stressed by the time everyone is actually out the door all I want to do is immediately excuse myself from my "healthy lifestyle," give myself a million reasons why I deserve to have a "day off" and immediately binge on sugar cereal and a mocha with whip cream (neither of which we have in the house, but you know what I mean). I've found (after much dismay and disappointment when I give in) that all it takes is one rational decision to start my day off right. If I can just get through a healthy breakfast, my head is cleared, my stomach isn't angry at me anymore, and I am able to think more clearly and remember what my goals are and in turn actually care about taking the steps it takes to reach them.

 - Keep a journal. I've never been good about writing in a regular journal (you know the "Dear Diary" kind? - well, unless a blog counts...) but I have been pretty consistent about keeping a food journal. I write everything in it. Every bite I eats goes in that journal. I take it everywhere with me so that I can be reminded of my goals when I'm away from home and in a more vulnerable place (where I'd be more likely to throw caution to the wind when it comes to making healthy choices like, say, Red Robin... mmm, cheeseburgers). Anyway, I've just found this is key in my accountability. 
I took this picture at about noon. {Also? I might be known for putting smiley face stickers on the page at the end of the day if I did a good job... I said I might.}
 - Water. Drink it. I don't love drinking water at all. I've always preferred soda (I know, it's terrible) but lately I've made it a priority to drink more water. I write circles on the bottom of my daily page in my journal and each circle represents one cup of water. This week my goal has been to drink a gallon of water each day. (Can I just say that the bathroom and I are friends? Because we totally are. We're tight these days.) I also bought a new water bottle because the 13 others that we own aren't good enough I wanted one that was MINE. One that I take everywhere (my water bottle is married to my journal) and one that my kids know is just Mommy's. I bought one with a built in straw (Camelbak) that I love because I don't have to unscrew a lid and spill all over myself when I'm driving. Simple and probably just a mental thing? Definitely. Is it working so far and thus totally worth it even though it was frivolous? YES.

 - Even though walking isn't running, it's better than sitting. I've had shin splints lately and running has been p.a.i.n.f.u.l. so I've been "power walking" on my treadmill. Yes, it takes longer to burn the same amount of calories, but I'm surprised at how much I still sweat (especially when I carry weights!) and I find that I feel just as good as after a run because even though I couldn't do what I hoped, I still chose to do something.

Okay guys, that's all for now. When I come up with more, you'll be the first to hear about them. What are some tips you have to share? I'd LOVE to hear em'!

Happy Weekend!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! Will you follow me around all day and help me make better choices? And, since you're following me around all day, will you also fold some of that laundry over there?

    Weight loss/healthy living is such a challenge, at least for me. These things you've listed make perfect sense. Now, I just need to put them to action!

    ReplyDelete