Thursday, September 15, 2011

Getting Nailed

You know how sometimes the things your kids say can knock you over faster than if you got hit by a bus?

Yeah.

That.

The conversation looked a little (or exactly) like this:

Carter (completely out of the blue): "So, Mom, did it hurt the first time you got nailed?"

{I'll just give you a minute to collect yourself - although I was not granted such a gift...}

Me: "I'm not sure I know what you mean..."

{I surprised myself at how good I apparently am at pretending to be calm... and also at how fast I can start sweating...}

Carter: "No, I think you do. So... did it hurt? I heard it does."

Me (wondering if I taught them how to use my cell phone lest they have to call an ambulance after my heart attack): "Son, I really don't know what you're talking about."

{If I deny it convincingly enough will the fact that I do know go away???}

Carter: "Just tell me, Mom - does it hurt when you get nailed?! I know you've done it! ...You've used the hammer and missed the nail and hit your finger - so does it hurt?!?"


________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment