Friday, May 9, 2014

settling in

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh.

We're here.


Moved.

We still have boxes stacked up some of the walls and our mattress/box spring set is just laying on the floor of our bedroom, but we're actually in the house. Living here. For real. So real, in fact, that I made cookies from scratch this afternoon in my new-to-me kitchen just so our house would smell like cookies obviously.

I spent 6 hours cleaning my parent's place on Tuesday, Wednesday we took the last load of garbage and recyclables to the dump, and then last night we went and picked up my parents from the airport and brought them to their much less occupied home.

This is an adjustment that will take time for all of us to get used to, but I think it's going to be good. Pulling out of the driveway last night with a confused (and very sad) toddler broke my heart a little and almost brought on my ugly cry, but knowing my Dad was heading over this afternoon to hang out with the kids made it all more bearable for all of us. Like I've said before, we're still only about a 7 minute drive from their place and I foresee us being back and forth a lot (like twice already - today).

We're settling in to life even though it's different. Very different. We lived at their house just shy of three years, but since living with Grandma and Grandpa is all Fischer has ever known it's been hard and heartbreaking trying to view the changes through his perspective, but he's resilient...and besides I made cookies today and cookies make everything better...right?




1 comment:

  1. awww I think the kids will adjust faster than you will - that's how things seem to go for me, anyway

    ReplyDelete