Friday, March 26, 2010

Kids and commercials

I'm not a fan of my kids watching too much tv. We do allow them to watch, but I don't like the idea of them getting immersed in the world of advertising at such a young age. Basically, I just don't want my kids to be materialistic. I don't want them constantly asking for things and ultimately thinking that having these things will make them happy. It is so easy for the thought "If I just had _______, THEN I'd be happy!" to creep in. I admit that I've caught that bug a dozen (multiplied by a hundered) times and it never brings more than instant gratification (that is pretty small and extremely short lived). I want them to know that their happiness and worth is so much more than the toys they play with. They are children of GOD and *that* is where their worth comes from. It's not like we don't ever buy them something that they see on tv. It's not like we keep them from watching tv because we're afraid that they will become spoiled brats. We just don't want them to become sick with the consumerism bug. However, when Carter looked at Jeff and I yesterday and said, "Can we please go to Chuck E. Cheese? Come on you guys, it's where a kid can be a kid!" my first thought was... Too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment