Monday, July 2, 2012

Liking Laundry (wow, that doesn't taste good coming out of my mouth)

As most of you already know, the washing machine and I are not friends.

Shortly before Fischer was born I taught Natalie how to do the laundry (I know, right? A.w.e.s.o.m.e.) with the agreement that I would fold after she threw it in the washer and dryer (and everyone puts their own away... ideally). It's been working out great since she literally loves to do it, and when it's just folding that I have to do, I don't find it all that terrible (gasp!) and don't have too hard of a time keeping up with it (double gasp!).

Well, that was working great until I went and threw a wrench in the whole process by - wait for it - deciding to start using cloth diapers on Fischer (I know. I'll give you a minute to pick your jaw up off the ground.). Right when things were getting into a groove and all the laundry dots were being connected, I went and completely messed everything up.

Or did I?

I've found, much to my surprise, that I take so much pride in the fact that we're cloth diapering that I actually enjoy rinsing, washing, and drying his little diapers. I love knowing we're saving a ton of money without switching to Geico and I love that we're not making all that extra waste (pun intended) by tossing disposables.

{Note: We did use disposables on our first three kids so I'm totally guilty of making PLENTY of waste when it comes to diapers, but I'm trying to (sort of?) make up for it this time.}

Granted we're only a week into the whole cloth diapering gig, so there's still plenty of time for me to grow to hate how time consuming it is, but for now I'm really (honestly!) enjoying it. Plus: No diaper rash to be seen since switching - so that's a double bonus!

Oh, and it totally helps to have an awesome Mother in law who will make you super cute "wet bags" to store the diapers in until it's laundry time. (The big one is for my changing station and the smaller one to keep in my diaper bag.) Didn't know I could be so obsessed over anything having to do with laundry but these bags pretty much shove me over the edge of insanity (but I don't mind because... well just look at them!).







No comments:

Post a Comment