Monday, May 3, 2010

Age is just a number... right?

Apparently (according to all the magazines that I will adamantly deny I read if you ask) 40 is the new 25, 30 is the new 20, etc. Pretty much they're saying that as you get older it's fine because "old" is back in. It's the new "young." I don't know. I don't really get it. I'm a good 7 months away from the big 3-0 and I certainly don't feel like I'm turning 20. Hello, I have almost 9 years of marriage and 3 kids under my belt. In my situation I feel more like 30 is the new 35. But whatever. Seems like a bit of a scam to allow people to deny the enjoyment of getting older. Taking away from the priveledge it is to actually get to grow old gracefully.

However, I can't deny that I do agree with all of that to some extent. For us it's the opposite though. "Younger" is the new "older" in our house lately, that's for sure. I've been getting the eye-roll treatment (well it happened once, and unless a certain five year old has a death-wish it won't happen again). Natalie (at the ripe old age of 7) thinks that it is a daily requirement to talk on the phone with at least one of her classmates (which she doesn't) or she just can't call it a day at all. But the one that never ceases to amaze me is Jack. He won't look me in the eye when he knows he's done something wrong. He shrugs his shoulders. Maybe you didn't get that one... He's 2 and he shrugs his shoulders instead of answering with words. It's like his facial expressions combined with his little shoulders going up and down are saying (when his words won't) "I don't really care, Mom. Are you still talking? Seriously. I have blocks to stack right now could you finish up, please?"

I don't know if 40 is the new 25, or if 30 is the new 20, but I do know that 7 is pushing to be the new 17, 5 the new 15, and 2 the new 12 but if I have anything to say about it (and I do) it won't be this way in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment