Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Working Overtime

You ever have one of those days where you wake up and just know the day is going to be a little harder than usual? My first confirmation was when my five year old was trying to get his socks on before school and says, "This S-WORDs!" and I have to go in my seven year old's room to find out that the s-word is "sucks." Not my favorite word, but it could be worse I guess. Then I over hear Natalie tell Carter that she's his "hooker." I keep quiet long enough to find out that she meant that she was holding his coat for him, her hand was the hook and that made her the "hooker." Again, could be worse, but not really something I'm stoked about hearing.

Later I remember that Jeff could be home early (his plane lands at noon and he could come home early from work) so I scramble out to the back yard to pick up all the dog poop that I don't want him to know I was slacking off on while he was gone. Oh, and in the poop I found a marble, gum, and the side mirror to a Barbie car. Not kidding. Next, I find out that while I'm vacuuming the rug in the living room Jack is in the master bathroom "playing" with my earrings. He's pulling all the dangly parts from the hooks that go in my ear. I walk in and see him on the counter and he shrugs his shoulders and goes, "All fixed!" Right. Thanks. Oh, and as I'm pulling Jack off of the counter I glance in the mirror to realize that I have mascara all over the front of my t-shirt. When did this happen? I don't even have any make-up on!?

It's on days like these that I feel like I should get paid over time (or just get paid, period) for having the dishwasher, washing machine and dryer all running at the same time. I should get paid for remembering to make the two year old lunch or taking the dog out to go to the bathroom. I should get paid for showing up at the end of the street when Natalie gets off the bus. I should get a bonus check for finding time to shower... and then I see the three of them together all cuddled up on the bed while Natalie reads a book out loud. They look up at me and as I gaze at those smiles I forget about all the headaches of the day and I realize that I do get paid. I get paid a lot.






1 comment:

  1. Wow Karey, now you've got me crying at work. That's such a cool way to look a it! All that being said, I still can't wait to be a mommy!

    ReplyDelete