Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

So yesterday was Mother's Day. It was fun and busy and we barbequed it up in the backyard with family and all. The kids gave me their sweet little projects that they made at school but it didn't really feel like "Mother's Day." I guess because I don't feel like it was a normal day, which I suppose is the whole point, but still... I slept in, Jeff made me breakfast. Jack walked around all day saying "Happy Mommy, Mom!" It was fun and such a treat but this morning I felt more happy being a mom than I did yesterday. This morning as I waved out the window with Jack as Natalie and Carter climbed on the big bus to head to school. It felt more like Mother's Day today when I woke up at 3am to Natalie saying she couldn't sleep and just wanted me, and then again at 4:30am when Jack was trying to climb into our bed without being found out. It felt more like Mother's Day when the milk from cereal got spilled all over the tablecloth and when I was sleepily pouring my coffee as Jack was trying to stand on my feet to "dance." It felt more like Mother's Day as I was stuffing lunches into backpacks, zipping coats, and tying shoes. These are the things I love about being a mom. I revel in the normalness of it all, in the day to day happenings of our home. I loved having everyone over yesterday; eating outside and then coming in when it started to rain, building a fire in the living room as we catch the tail end of a basketball game and chat it up over coffee. I love those things, too, as it was great to get to spend the afternoon with my own mom and grandma but this morning at our crazy house trying to get everyone rushed out the door, as Monday snuck up on us like it usually does, is what it's all about for me. My husband, my kids, my home, my life being a mom. I get to celebrate every single day when I watch my kids literally run into my arms when they get off the bus after school. I get to celebrate when they hug me so tightly right before bed and I make my promise to be right down the hall all night. I really do love Mother's Day but what I love even more is getting to recognize the opportunity to celebrate what an honor it is to be the mother of these amazing children of mine every single day.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Karey (I'm seriously almost crying)...if you are trying to the tip the scales in favor of motherhood over medical school you are definitely succeeding. Thanks for being such an amazing mom and an awesome sister! I love you all so much! Hope we'll be closer soon!

    ReplyDelete